I'm Not Comfortable

We like to be comfortable even in serving and worshiping God.

In thirty two years of pastoring I have heard countless excuses, some would say reasons, for not attending worship.  I have heard countless complaints about sanctuary temperatures, the hardness of church pews or the brightness of the lights in the sanctuary.  Further there are some that would prefer the preaching in a church not to challenge their pre-conceived ideas and notions.  Many want to hear nothing disturbing. Many feel that the church should not make us  uncomfortable. 

I thought a lot about some of those excuses and complaints when I heard the story of what happened to ninety-five year old President Jimmy Carter this weekend.  I don't intend this space to be an indictment or endorsement of his presidency but just the story of one Christian who set out to serve his Lord.

The former President fell at his home last week end.  The result of his fall was that his face required 14 stitches.  The former President recently broke his hip and as we also know in the last few years stared down brain cancer.  

Yet, on Monday here was former President Carter with all of his ninety five years and fourteen stiches, working on a Habitat for Humanity Project in Nashville.  I don't know how long he worked or how many nails he drove or how many boards he cut but he was there.  His comfort took a back seat to his service. 

Image result for jimmy carter habitat nashville

I tell this story to remind us that the next time we are a bit uncomfortable in church let's remember that God really isn't concerned with our comfort but with our faithfulness.  I hope you'll make it to a house of worship this Sunday.  I'm sure your will more than likely be comfortable but don't let it bother you if your not.  After all even a little discomfort in church is still highly preferable to being crucified.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's My Choice

Witnessing Greatness at the Masters

The Little Things Matter