Thankful You Did Not "Go Home"

This week noted conservative evangelical leader John MacArthur, was asked about the ministry of the Southern Baptist Bible Teacher Beth Moore.  He replied that women had no role in the proclamation of the Gospel and that they needed to "Go home."  

On the one hand MacArthur's statement could be described in one word---dumb.  On the other hand the statement was borderline misogynistic.  As United Methodists we have settled the question about the role of women in ministry for over six decades so for me there is no need to argue the issue.  I know what  my experience has taught me.

Let me say unequivocally that I am grateful that my female colleagues in ministry have not gone home.  I have seen the fruit that they have brought forth.   I have been mentored by some in my formative years in ministry and served alongside others as I have become an "older" pastor.  What I know is this--there are people today that have a relationship with Jesus Christ because  these women did not "Go home."  

Calling names can often get one in trouble because in the end someone gets left out but I want to say thank you to some colleagues that did not "Go home."

When I answered the call to ministry I had to be taught to the skills needed to be a pastor. During my days at Candler School of Theology I was blessed to learn from Roberta Bondi, Gail O'Day, Rebecca Chopp, and Nancy Ammerman.  Later when I pursued my Doctorate at Columbia Theological Seminary learning from a New Testament scholar named Beth Johnson was a great experience.

Student pastors while in school at Candler are assigned to a "Teaching Parish" and are mentored by a veteran pastor.  Carolyn Morris, who was later the first female District Superintendent in the North Georgia Conference guided me during that time.  Her sage advice and wisdom benefited me greatly.

As I moved into my first appointments there were a number of female clergy who were friends and partners. There were two female clergy in the area where I first served. Carol Scroggs remains my buddy.  I also became friends with the late Sheila Bookout. I now have been honored to serve two churches that were previously served by her, including my present church. I know first hand of the excellent work that she did as a faithful servant.

There were those with whom I attended college that are now wonderful pastors.  Pam Cobb McCurdy, Nanci McNeil Hicks, and Mary Jane Wilson-Parsons have been a blessing to the churches that they have served.

I will always remember the charisma of Martha Forrest. I once had the opportunity to serve on a conference committee with her. It was an experience that was never dull.

I have great respect for clergy couples.  Balancing family and ministry is never easy and doing so with one's partner in ministry doubles the issues that sometimes arise. Herzen and Jenni Andone were in my seminary graduating class and ordination classes.  They have been great pastors and raised wonderful children.   Dalton and Stacey Rushing along with David and Susan Allen Grady have been leaders in our annual conference reminding us that God told us to be a people of justice.  Will and Blair Zant are exceptionally gifted leaders that give me hope for the future of our church.

I have never been happier for someone else than I was when I heard Sharma Lewis had been elected Bishop.  We served in the same district for a while but what I will always remember was a kind word she once gave me when I needed it more than ever.

There are two female clergypersons that I would like to think I had a hand in their being where she is today.  Susan Gilbert was a member of St. John UMC Augusta when I served there as Associate Pastor.  Today she is Associate Pastor for Congregational Care at Wesley UMC in Evans.  She has transitioned from her former career and is the embodiment of Christian compassion.  Robin Parr, the associate pastor at Dahlonega First UMC served as both the director of music and of youth on my staff in Toccoa. Robin has the gift and graces to make a great pastor.

Alice Rogers and I once served in neighboring towns.  We became friends during those years.  She left the parish for a while and served at Candler School of Theology and then she became my District Superintendent.  I am no longer in her district but she was a great boss.  She cares deeply for the pastors and the churches entrusted to her care.

In the North Georgia Conference we are grateful for the leadership of many wonderful women.  Jane Brooks has served North Georgia both as a pastor and administrator.  Our Bishop, Sue Haupert-Johnson has exhibited courageous leadership in difficult times in our denomination and for that I am grateful.

I must also mention two clergy women of another denomination that have influenced me. One knows me; one does not. During my tenure in Toccoa I worked alongside the very gifted Mary Demler who at the time served the local Episcopal Church.  Mary and I partnered on a number of collaborative ventures and we strengthened each other's ministries.   Then there is the "best preacher I have ever heard." Barbara Brown Taylor. She is heading into retirement but I hope her rocking chair gets uncomfortable and she continues to write and lecture.  I know she will still be around because on more than a few occasions my sermons contain the line, "The noted Episcopal author Barbara Brown Taylor says...."

I am sure I missed some folks as I wrote down these names and for that I apologize. Even with the missing names there is no doubt that women clergy have been a blessing to me and have been a blessing to countless others. I thank God that they did not chose to "Go home."





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's My Choice

Witnessing Greatness at the Masters

The Little Things Matter