Taking Sides

As a native Georgian, high school football has always been a part of the background music of my life.  I played the game very poorly when I was in high school.  I later coached the game during my time as a teacher.  I've done some volunteer coaching after becoming a pastor and for nine years was the public address announcer for a local high school team.

One thing about attending a high school football game is that one declares which team one supports when one enters the stadium.  One either sits on the home side or the visitors side of the stadium. A person generally supports the team that is represented by the side of field on which one is sitting.  Some high school stadiums even arrange the parking lots so the visitors and the home fans can park separately.  So it is that at high school football games one has to pick a side.

That works great for high school football.  It doesn't necessarily work for life. However, in the polarized culture in which we live, it seems that everything requires side taking.  

I have been incredulous, although I should know better than to be, over the fact that people are taking sides over wearing a mask in public during the COVID-19 crisis.  How on earth could anyone take sides over this?  Yet, I have seen heated debates on social media platforms concerning the subject.

Some debate the efficacy of wearing a mask. I don't know if wearing a mask does any good in slowing the spread of COVID-19 or not.  I'm not a doctor but some doctor's say that it will.  Some say wearing a mask may not protect the mask wearer but it might protect those who come in contact with an infected mask wearer.  

I certainly would hate for someone to get sick if I happen to be sick so I wear a mask in public except when I walk for exercise (on those occasions I go out of my way if necessary to avoid people I encounter on my walk).  It is simply the right thing to do. Further I am quite certain that wearing a mask in public does no harm.  

Still others object to wearing a mask in public because they claim in infringes on their freedom.  Many of these folks have a "nobody is going to tell me what to do" mentality.  Of course, these same folks will sit down and eat at restaurant that has sign that says "No shirt, No shoes, No service."  They also are wearing shirts and shoes.  These same folks don't find it oppressive to have to get a license to drive either. Yet, somehow wearing a mask to protect one's friends and neighbors is oppressive and deprives someone of their freedom?  I honestly don't see it.

Each and every day we yield a little individual freedom for the common good. That's called looking out for each other.  I have to have a license to drive so that our roads can be safer.  I want my doctor to have to be licensed because having one's gall bladder removed by someone who isn't trained to do so is not a good idea.  Even with laws like these I'm still free to pretty much do as I chose and make my own mistakes.

So it is that we argue over masks and other things. Other things, that I will not mention so as to not start another argument.  Indeed the masks were one small example of the absurdity of some of the arguments we are having in our culture.

What is more frustrating is that once many take their side, many refuse to admit when they are wrong, even if in their hearts they know they are wrong.  When confronted with an opposing view many often make moral twists and turns to justify an unjustifiable position. Many had rather not betray their side than to do the right thing.
  
I will tell you right now I've been wrong about some things over the years.  When I'm wrong I have learned its best to admit it and move on and try to do what is right.  I don't say that to say that I'm more virtuous than anyone else.  If I were all that virtuous I would have chosen to do the right thing in the first place.

As a pastor, what disturbs me the most is when great conflicts arise and each side claim that God is on their side.  I am fairly certain God doesn't take sides in most of our disputes and conflicts.  Rather, God wished his children would learn to not have conflict.

I believe that Abraham Lincoln said it best when asked at the height of the Civil War if God was on the side of the Union.  Lincoln replied, "Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right." That should give us all a little pause before we start taking sides.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's My Choice

Witnessing Greatness at the Masters

The Little Things Matter